Player Features

FC Barcelona Players ‘Rebelled’ Against Xavi, Reports Tot Costa


Some FC Barcelona players rebelled against Xavi Hernandez towards the end of his tenure according to Radio Catalunya‘s Tot Costa program, which cited anonymous sources.

Xavi was dismissed before the weekend, despite going back on a January decision to step down on June 30 and agreeing to see out his contract until the same date in 2025 a month ago.

Negative comments made about the Catalans’ economic plight, and how that affects being able to compete with arch rival Real Madrid, have been cited as the primary motive for President Joan Laporta having a change of heart and firing the club legend.

But from sources such as 3Cat, there have been reports about Xavi clashing with the club on which players should not continue in his 2024/2025 sporting project including striker Robert Lewandowski.

According to Tot Costa journalist Ramon Salmurri, there was also a locker room rebellion of sorts against Xavi.

Ahead of the last home game of the season, May 19’s 3-0 win over Rayo Vallecano at the Montjuic Stadium, Xavi and his staff noticed that some players were acting coldly.

They were asked what was going on, and explained there had been a leak from inside the club where they had been sent a report conjured up by Xavi and the sports management department which contained a “list of casualties and possible departures”.

Xavi was asked for an explanation, and he urged the players not to pay any attention to the information while reminding them he had always been on their side which was not going to change.

He also stressed that if he had something to tell them personally he would, and pointed to the examples of Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba where he was forced to show his former teammates and close friends the exit door at differing points of the double-winning 2022/2023 season.

One of the angriest players was said to be Ronald Araujo, who had a question mark next to his name on the alleged list.

Xavi explained that this was because the club told him the Uruguayan could be sold if an offer of more than $97 million (€90 million) comes in for him this summer.

But now that Xavi is out of the way, MARCA reported that the defender could renew and commit his future to the Blaugrana through a new contract extension agreement.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button